Aug 5, 2013

A couple weeks ago I entered the Lilla Rogers Global Talent Search

I found out last week that I didn't make the top 50.  My heart totally sank but then at the same time.... I wasn't surprised. I still have a long way to go with character development. I am pretty much self taught... I do count the fashion illustration classes I had in school and the collections we designed weekly as contributors to my level of illustration.. but still, I struggle with showing expression, action, storytelling etc. 

BUT, you just have to keep drawing and painting right?!? Looking back to where I was 5..10 years ago...there's huge improvement. So you just focus on that and keep making work. I love all the illustrators work who did make the cut! One of my friends and whose work I really admire is Denise Holmes...she's in the top 50 and her Journal cover is so darling! Good luck to you Denise, I hope you win this thing lady!! :-[)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Participants were asked to illustrate a journal cover with the theme being "Playground" - this was a good exercise for me that pushed me in directions I probably wouldn't have taken myself. :)

Here are a couple of my thumbnail sketches and then my cover design:







8 comments:

Kimberly from Joyful Roots said...

Hi! I wanted to let you know that I absolutely adore your work and I hope that you aren't too discouraged by not making it. You are one of the most talented designers I follow! I also did not make the cut, and was totally bummed. I know several other people with huge talent that didn't make it either. Your journal entry is so adorable and I always look forward to seeing more of your work! Keep going!

ROXY MARJ said...

Hello Kimberly!

Thanks for the super sweet comment and words of encouragement! I am not discouraged by not getting in...now, if we lived in North Korea and that was the only way our work was ever gonna get noticed...well then I would most likely be depressed for the rest of my life. :-p A little dramatic but I definitely don't base my worth as an illustrator off of being denied by Lilla Rogers...and I hope you don't either! :] Just keep at it...we will both reach our goals if we keep working hard, because hard work ALWAYS pays off. :) xo

denise said...

Roxy - Your journal cover is amazing! I love it so much! I am still pinching my cheeks, I can't believe it! You are so sweet to mention me lady - thank you for cheering me on! I think it is funny that you think you struggle with expression and storytelling, because you totally have such a unique way of illustrating that NO ONE ELSE HAS! The expression/action/storytelling are just small pieces. Having that style is where it's at and you got it! I knew you were going to make it big when I first saw your stuff.. you'll see! :)

Marilla Walker said...

Your illustrations are so sweet and have so much personality. Drawing is subjective and there would have been so many applicants. It is not a reflection on your work to not have mad it to the top 50, just keep doing what you're doing. It obviously sells! I have pinned so many of your illustrations onto my Pinterest boards, because I love them x x x

Unknown said...

Roxy your style of drawing and expression is like no one else's. Glad you are not discouraged :) :)

Jo said...

Hey Roxy!
I think your cover is fabulous. I too was going to enter the competition, but due to a huge house move couldn't get my design together in time.
(probably an excuse lying in there somewhere : )

I too struggle with story telling, but more so on the design side. I sort of realise that one off images are more my strength, but I am so ready to learn more!

There's nothing better than being creative and for now, as well as doing many other things, that will do for me : )
And I just realised, that you are the talented person that makes my all time favourite eye clutch!!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/115111902/eye-to-eye-clutch
x x x

FLOOR NUMBER FOUR said...

I agree with everyone here, your work is fab and I totally adore it! I do not know why you were not in the top 50 but do not let it discourage you because I seriously believe you are only one step away from success. You are so very talented! /maria x

Brittany said...

Thanks so much for sharing all of that! It helps beginners like me to realize even those that I admire so much and are successful are real people and have to work super hard too! I think you should've made the top 50 though! I love how your characters hold so much expression and that they are always so consistent with your style, Best of luck with your next venture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...