Jul 2, 2012

Last week I got to enjoy the comfort of our bed 24/7, 6 days straight! Jealous??? Don't be! I was sick with thee nastiest head cold most most likely sent from the slug snot gods themselves. I won't go into all the grossness that came over me last week, however...I had never taken so much medicine in those 6 days than I have in my entire life...and that just didn't feel right. There were little pockets here and there where I had a little energy and opted to read instead of more tv.  This book is currently on my nightstand. Please tell me you have read this book or at least parts of it?!


I have become obsessed all over again with Dr. Laura. Funny thing about her is that I only meet people who also really love her or really hate her....no real in between there. And when I was a teenager I would often wonder why, this book has made it clear to me why it's so black and white with her, because she herself is black and white...AND she says what you don't want to hear. I love it. 

This book is chock full of stories from callers to Dr. Laura and the conversations between the two...I feel like a fly on the wall while reading this book. I've learned so much more about why I keep the belief system I do and the importance of values.  Here is something I thought was so great that she shared:

[Page 75. Below]  "Dr. Viktor Frankl in Man's Search for Meaning elaborated on this idea: "We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken away from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms ---to choose one's attitude in ANY given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."



[pg. 18 below]  I especially LOVED this question asked:  "Why do all religions have firm rules about behavior? Just to cut into your fun? Just to control you? No, it is as a guide to help individuals in their "human" struggle between immediate self-gratification and the positioning of their behaviors in special circumstances, like reserving sex for a committed love relationship, which then elevates human sexuality above crickets and termites and other animals responding mindlessly to instinctive, built-in reproductive urges.   

I appreciated that because of all the slack that Mormons get for not having sex whenever we want. There is something so valuable in waiting for something. Especially something that can bring you closer.  I can speak from experience on both sides, and the TRUE waiting to have sex builds an unbelievable foundation that you won't believe. The friendship is already there, and then the intimacy becomes an awesome perk! :) Annnnyways, this is a book I highly recommend.


---------------------------------------------------

Update on our house progress: 

We got our living room about 80% complete...the 20% will probably happen over the course of two years I imagine....the gallery wall is almost complete. I confess: I love sitting in our living room and just staring at it. I think this stems from the fact that I love so much how each room is turning out and it's literally on a shoestring budget. No fancy designer anythings here, no labels or names to drop, nothing to make you wish you could afford what we have, because everything we have anyone can afford, and that's a nice feeling. :] 


The sconces on the gallery wall are from Lowes. And I love them...but at first I was not sold. Jesse had these picked out and I had the more nautical oval shaped lights chosen. My reason for not wanting those lights in our home was because we had one outside our front door growing up and I never liked it, I didn't think it was fancy enough. But then Jesse said he liked them because he thought they looked like Mason Jars.  "OH! yeah...." was my response, now I saw his vision! lol I told this to my lil sister yesterday and she laughed and said that's probably why we did have it on our porch. Our mother was a hard-core canner.....anyways, the even better thing about these light fixtures though is that they were only $5! Amazing huh! And then instead of your standard light bulb, we opted for the carbon-filament kind which gives off such a pretty glow.


Yesterday I was wishing that we were financially in a place where I could afford to buy fresh flowers every single day. But while sitting on our couch looking at our wall [again] and wanting to see flowers on our console, I thought " Roxy, be creative you silly! Just cut some branches from outside!" I looove this soo much. Sometimes [actually, a lot] I forget to think outside of the box and rely often on money to get me the things that I want, when really want I want could easily be in my yard for free. :)


Below is a basket in the bookshelf  that holds a lot of the smaller games, I thought spraying it half gray would break up all the brown going on. I am on the fence about painting just the inside back of the shelf white.  The top of the shelf is designated for our board games. Because they aren't visually appealing to look at, I have been looking for baskets at the thrift stores to put them in, no luck yet.


Our trunk by the window [which was given to my mom from her dad and now us] is now Harley's little resting spot so he can easily look out the window. I put my sheepskin rug on the trunk for him to lay on...he has really taken to it. Every morning Harley and I sit on the trunk and wave goodbye to Jesse as he leaves for work..it's pretty funny.


Believe it or not, trying to find curtain rods and curtains that I would really be happy with is such a challenge for me. Ironically we found some rods that we LOVE and guess where we found them... Smiths Marketplace my friends! YEAH! For those who don't know Smiths, it's basically a really big all you can find grocery store. They weren't cheap, but not expensive either, only $25...and they fit with our style so well. The curtains, from Target....i'm not crazy about the fabric, they are a blend, I would prefer a heavy linen curtain, but these one's surprisingly look and feel good. I imagine they will look even nicer once washed and get a slightly tighter weave.



---------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I just want to do a shout out to my sister in law Megan's blog Meg Farfalla. There you can find tons of tips about how to do makeup among other things.  Megan is doing my lil sister Mari's make up for her wedding THIS SATURDAY! :-[) So excited.  Megan's services are affordable and well worth your wedding, prom, anniversary, tv or whatever it is investment... what's my point? If you live in the Salt Lake area, hire this lady! You won't regret it. :)

I love this tip she gives about brows because I know NOTHING about those things...all I do is tweeze
them and cross my fingers they look okay...I do want to try this though.


and then some helpful tips on cleaning your brushes.....so important and I find that most women don't do this easy task.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lvu!! Thanks for the shout out!

fnjkeankjaen said...

Ok, time for me to sit down and catch up reading your blog! Yay! I absolutely love your home. I love how creative it looks and how you've managed without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money. And homes keep evolving with time anyway. So it will probably never be 100% ready. I love your carpet!
Cut branches are such a nice and simple idea, I think interiors should always involve some green, and soon you'll be growing your own flowers in the garden and that you'll be able to cut and bring inside ;-)

Julie said...

Your house is a vision! I can't believe Smith's provided you with such amazing curtain rods, who would have guessed?!

Also, glad you are feeling better! Being sick is the pits.

ROXY MARJ said...

Megan, UUUVVV COURSE! :) xo

Vivi, thanks for your sweet compliments! I look forward to you coming to visit someday and seeing it in person, and any design advice you have would be much appreciated! I agree with your "greenery" comment...but the real stuff [I am sure that's what you meant] I am excited for the day we have enough plants to pick from weekly...what a dream!

Julie, thanks so much! :) Isn't that hilarious! Smith's of all places...I still can't get over it! You guys need to come over for a proper dinner outside! :) And yes, I am so glad to be feeling better...it was a whole two weeks actually which was quite exhausting. :/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...